The Louisville Water Company’s Pump Station No. 1 was the first pumping station in Louisville.
Designed in 1856 by Theodore Scowden and Charles Hermany, the Classical Revival style resembles a two-story temple. The structure includes a slate roof and terra-cotta and cast iron decorative elements. In 1971, the Pumping Station was listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Pump Station No. 1 required a complete exterior historic restoration. The challenge was to fully investigate the condition of the building, identify unseen deterioration and devise methods of restoring the building to its original state.
Work on Pump Station No. 1 included removal of existing paint, repointing the masonry, repair or replacement of all missing or damaged decorative elements, windows and doors, replacing the slate roof and railings, installing a perimeter drainage system and repainting the building. Included in the project was a new northern terrace, renovation of the existing southern terrace, parking lot and drive and updating the exterior lighting.