Built between 1852 and 1905, these buildings were constructed as part of the bourbon boom. The impressive buildings were comprised primarily of masonry, with wood joists for support. On the façade of the buildings, ornate cast-iron and terracotta don the window and door arches. With no HVAC or running water, the original versions of the buildings only housed masonry coal heaters to char the barrels for proper bourbon making. Once completed, barrels of bourbon would be rolled down the adjacent North 1st street to the river where they’d be shipped via steamboat.